Human Kinetics' mission is to increase the knowledge, enhance the performance, and improve the health and fitness of all people around the globe by developing and delivering authoritative information about physical activity and sport.
Our History and Corporate Structure
In 1973, Dr. Rainer Martens, a kinesiology professor at the University of Illinois, attended the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity Conference. Recognizing the importance of publishing the conference proceedings, but finding no interested publishers, Dr. Martens and his wife, Marilyn, created Human Kinetics in 1974, headquartered in Champaign, Illinois, USA.
For more than 40 years, Human Kinetics has grown by reinvesting earnings and expanding into new areas, including higher education, continuing education, coach education, and much more. The company is organized into three divisions: Academic, Consumer and Professional, and Journals. Our Journals Division publishes more than 25 peer-reviewed publications to provide quality, cutting-edge information for use by professors, teachers, researchers, practitioners, health care professionals, coaches, fitness enthusiasts, and many others. Our scholarly journals provide the latest research, and our professional publications offer practical information on applying that research. Our journals are led by widely recognized and respected editors and undergo rigorous editorial scrutiny to ensure that readers receive the information they need clearly and accurately.
In 2005, Dr. Martens sold Human Kinetics to his employees as part of an Employee Stock Ownership Plan. Today, the company is still headquartered in Champaign, IL, and operates international offices in Canada and the United Kingdom.
As an employee-owned company, Human Kinetics dedicates itself to the guiding principles which laid the company's foundation, and fosters values that reflect our commitment to our colleagues, our customers, and the fields we serve. How we conduct business sets Human Kinetics apart from companies who might offer similar information products.
Our Guiding Principles
We built our business on these four pillars, which remain the keys to our success.
- Expertise. Our staff has deep knowledge of the subjects we publish in, the markets we serve, and the tools and systems we use.
- Partnerships. We cultivate relationships with leading organizations and authorities who share their knowledge, provide additional credibility, and expand our reach.
- Service. We provide high-quality products, resolve issues promptly, and are courteous in our communications with our colleagues and customers.
- Process. We consistently evaluate and adjust our operational systems so we can create our products efficiently and serve our partners and customers effectively.
Our values are reflected in the behaviors we require in our work.
- Integrity. We hold ourselves and each other accountable to high ethical standards. We commit and deliver.
- Resourcefulness. We learn and adapt so we can solve challenges. We figure things out.
- Effort. We work hard to accomplish a lot with the time and tools we have available. We persist.
- Respect. We treat each other and our customers kindly. We trust and appreciate.
- Teamwork. We support and acknowledge each other's contributions. We collaborate.
- Stewardship. We manage resources as if we own the company, because we do. We take responsibility.
Human Kinetics is a great place to work. Join us!