- What information we collect
- How we may use your information
- How you can limit our sharing of information
Human Kinetics, Inc.
1607 N. Market Street
PO Box 5076
Champaign, IL 61825-5076
What We Collect
Human Kinetics Inc., and its subsidiaries (collectively HK hereafter), recognize the importance of protecting the information gathered from users in the operation of this website and takes reasonable steps to maintain the security, integrity and privacy of any information collected. Although HK employs reasonable measures in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of information through the website, you should be aware that the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to/from HK through this website or by e-mail cannot be guaranteed. Therefore, HK is not responsible for the security of information transmitted via the Internet. By submitting your information to HK you consent to the practices described herein.
HK collects information about individuals as provided on a voluntary basis such as during the ordering process, website registration, online courses, certification tests, conference attendance, catalog requests, surveys, or e-mail subscription requests.
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). We may collect, use, store, and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, position, title.
- Contact data includes billing address, delivery address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers.
- Financial data includes payment details.
- Transaction data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical data includes internet protocol (IP) address, login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile data includes username and password, purchases or orders made by you, preferences, saved searches or articles, and identity data (as above).
- Usage data includes information about how you use our website, products, and services.
- Marketing and communications data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We also collect, use, and share aggregated data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. For example, we may aggregate your usage data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature. However, if we combine or connect aggregated data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
We do not collect any special categories of personal data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
If you fail to provide personal data: Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
Users should be aware that when they voluntarily disclose personally identifiable information (e.g., username, e-mail address, phone number) on bulletin boards, blogs or in chat areas of the HK site, or sites of any related companies or subsidiaries, that information, along with any substantive information disclosed in the user’s communication, can be collected and used by third parties who are not affiliated with HK. Although HK takes every precaution possible to protect your information, by choosing to post personal information in areas that are viewable to all site visitors, such as forums and blogs, you are doing so at your own risk. Posting personal information may result in unsolicited messages from other posters or third parties. Such activities are not facilitated by HK and are beyond our control.
How is Personal Data Collected?
We use different methods to collect data from and about you, including through:
You may give us your identity, contact, and financial data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, e-mail, or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- apply for our products or services;
- create an account on our website;
- subscribe to our service, publications, or notifications;
- request marketing be sent to you.
This website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins, and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
Third Parties or Publicly Available Sources
We may receive personal data about you from various third parties and public sources as set out below:
- Technical data from the following parties: contact, financial, and transaction data from providers of technical, payment, and delivery services
- Analytics providers such as Google
- Advertising networks such as Facebook
- Search information providers such as Google
- Identity and contact data from data brokers or aggregators, or from publicy available sources
How We Use Your Information
HK reserves the right to contact a user regarding product orders, support issues and other matters relevant to the underlying service and/or the information collected.
Contact information such as name, address, and e-mail, may be shared with subsidiaries of HK, and may be used by such subsidiaries to send promotional and/or marketing information about other products, services and offerings from HK and/or its subsidiaries. Instructions on how to unsubscribe are included in every promotional e-mail.
Use of e-mail addresses. HK does not rent, sell, exchange, or share e-mail addresses with third parties (i.e., any entity besides Human Kinetics, Inc. and its subsidiaries) except when individuals specifically consent to allow us to do so by checking a permission box via our website or other official HK communications.
Information or files e-mailed to software technical support or sent through the technical support request system integrated into the HK site will not be used for internal marketing and sales purposes, or be sold or otherwise transferred to unaffiliated third parties.
HK reserves the right to perform statistical analyses of user behavior and characteristics in order to measure interest in and use of the various areas of the site; this analysis will sometimes be used to inform advertisers of site performance. HK will provide only anonymous, aggregated data from these analyses to third parties.
We may release account information when we believe that such release is reasonably necessary to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions; to protect the rights, property, and safety of HK’s e-commerce site, our users, or others; or to conform to the requirements of law or comply with governmental orders, court orders, or legal process served on us. If customers do not pay us for products ordered, we may submit their account information to a third-party collection agency.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used, or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered, or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data, and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see Your Legal Rights below for further information. In some circumstances, we may anonymize your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your Legal Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. You have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data's accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you.
No fee usually required. You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive, or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you. We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Response time. When these requests are made, we will meet the request as promptly as we reasonably can. If your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests, we will notify you of an extended time needed to respond.
Most of these rights can be exercised by visiting the My Data tab under My Profile, with the exception of deleting your account. To request to delete your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. When making a request, please outline the details of your request. These rights are not absolute and only apply in certain circumstances.
Opt Out Details
Upon request, HK will allow any user to "opt out" of further promotional contacts at any time. Additionally upon request, HK will use reasonable efforts to allow users to update/correct personal information previously submitted which the user states is erroneous to the extent such activities will not compromise privacy or security interests. Also, upon a user’s request, HK will use commercially reasonable efforts to functionally delete the user and his or her personal information from its database. Please contact us with any opt out requests.
When information is collected, the user will have the opportunity to indicate whether he or she would like to "opt in" to receiving promotional and/or marketing information about other products, services, and offerings from HK and/or any third parties. More region-specific information is provided in this section.
475 Devonshire Road, Unit 100
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Any personal information provided to or gathered by HK from users within Europe is controlled by Human Kinetics Europe Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales (Company No. 2282338), with a registered office at 107 Bradford Road, Stanningley, Leeds LS28 6AT. We are registered with the Information Commissioner in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, Data Protection Registration no. Z6111762.
If you wish to update your interests or communication preferences please contact us at the above address, call +44 (0) 113 255 5665 or e-mail email@example.com.
United States Customers
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of HK who are California residents to request certain information regarding its disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us.
Users may opt out of receiving third-party mailings at any time by contacting us.
Links to and from Other Websites
Users should be aware that links may be provided from this site to other websites. Each website will vary in terms of its privacy and data protection policies. HK does not accept responsibility for the privacy policies of, and usage of, personal information collected by others including those of any partner or affiliate.
Warning About Fradulent E-mails
We will never request your password or credit card information through e-mail. This practice, frequently called "phishing", is an illegal practice designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an e-mail that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, please do not respond and notify us immediately.
Users must be at least 18 years of age in order to have permission to use this site. We are committed to protecting children’s privacy on the Internet. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 18. If a child has provided our website with personally identifiable information, we ask that a parent or guardian contact us and we will delete the information about the child from our files.
Contacting Human Kinetics, Inc. About Privacy Questions or Concerns
Human Kinetics Inc.
1607 N. Market Street
PO Box 5076
Champaign, IL 61825-5076
The foregoing policies are effective as of January 28, 2019. We may change, modify, add, or remove portions of this Policy at any time, and any changes will become effective immediately upon posting. This statement and the policies outlined herein are not intended to, and do not create, any contractual or other legal rights in or on behalf of any party.