Search Results

You are looking at 1 - 10 of 92 items for :

  • "active learning" x
  • Refine by Access: All Content x
Clear All
Restricted access

Duane Knudson and Karen Meaney

promotion of scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL; Boyer, 1991 ). Over a period of decades, researchers in education and numerous other academic disciplines have conclusively reported that active-learning instructional strategies significantly improve student engagement and learning over traditional

Full access

Emily Dane-Staples

Using the definition of Miller and Metz ( 2014 ), active learning is an instructional method in which students become engaged participants in the classroom. However, this single definition does not make it easy to understand. Does this mean anything more than lecture? Does it require person to

Restricted access

Jade L. Morris, Andy Daly-Smith, Margaret A. Defeyter, Jim McKenna, Steve Zwolinsky, Scott Lloyd, Melissa Fothergill, and Pamela L. Graham

inactive period in a child’s day ( 2 , 18 , 34 )—may offer further opportunities to improve PA. Physically active learning (PAL) provides one such avenue for intervention, whereby movement is combined with learning to replace the typical traditional sedentary classroom lessons ( 35 ). Using a single mean

Restricted access

Karen E. Collins, Catherine E. Overson, and Victor A. Benassi

Active learning strategies that engage undergraduate preservice coaching education students in practical, authentic contexts might include peer coaching, supervised “in-service” coaching, and content teaching. Promoting student engagement by adopting active learning during the classroom, content

Restricted access

Valerie A. Troutman and Michele J. Grimm

Active learning improves student understanding and retention of material. 1 In engineering, active learning may occur in laboratory units, but this is often not feasible for large classes, online/remote classes, or students with a range of abilities and learning styles. In the Spring 2020 semester

Restricted access

Sandy J. Slater, Anmol Sanghera, Yadira Herrera, and Jamie F. Chriqui

Performance Standard (1302.31), 13 with the aim of informing ongoing implementation efforts of the PA requirement in Head Start programs. This Standard recognizes the importance of PA to learning for preschoolers and the need to incorporate PA into daily curricular activities, that is, encouraging “active

Restricted access

John Miller and Todd Seidler

:10.1080/15512160903467638 10.1080/15512160903467638 Brown , D.G. , & Ellison , S.R. ( 1995 ). What is active learning? In S.R. Hatfield (Ed.), The seven principles in action: Improving undergraduate education (pp.  39 – 54 ). Bolton, MA : Anker Publishing . Dochy , F. , Segers , M

Restricted access

Mary Barnum, Kelly Simmons, and Agnes DiStasi

Restricted access

Angela Lumpkin and Rebecca M. Achen

Despite what many claim, just because there is teaching does not mean there is learning. Clear and convincing evidence supports changing the instructional paradigm to a learner-centered classroom. Flipping a class shifts the delivery, often through technologically presented lectures, to free class time for student participation in a plethora of learning activities, such as think-pair-share and discussions, leading to student perceptions of greater learning and more enjoyment. In an action research approach with one class, 72% of juniors and seniors in an undergraduate sport finance and economics class reported out-of-class lectures often positively impacted their learning, and the remaining 28% responded these lectures did sometimes. End-of-course evaluations and surveys were overwhelmingly positive about class engagement, interaction, and enjoyment.

Restricted access

Megan B. Shreffler

A number of benefits have been associated with discussing controversial topics in the classroom. In this article, the author provides an example of using classroom debates on controversial issues in sport as a learning method in an introductory sport management class. Students were assigned to a side of a topic on which they did not agree. This required them to critically think about their stance and seek information to understand why others might feel the way they do. After the debate, students completed a debate reaction paper in which they outlined their opinions not only about the topic but also about the process.