Search Results

You are looking at 1 - 10 of 203 items for :

  • "intellectual disabilities" x
  • Refine by Access: All Content x
Clear All
Restricted access

Rosanna Gilderthorp, Jan Burns, and Fergal Jones

Athletes with intellectual disabilities (ID) were re-included into the London 2012 Paralympics games. There has been much debate surrounding the rules of the Paralympic games, as all participants with ID compete against each other in the same class, ( Burns, 2017 ), despite the vast range of

Restricted access

Eli Carmeli, Tamar Bar-Yossef, Claudette Ariav, Rosy Paz, Hanna Sabbag, and Ran Levy

Adults with intellectual disabilities (ID) show a greater tendency toward deconditioning and having a sedentary lifestyle than their peers without disabilities. The aim of this study was to characterize sensorimotor deficits through coordination tests and during static and dynamic balance. Eight tasks that involved the integration of hand movements with visual information were used here, as well as the Posture Scale Analyzer system to examine postural stability. During static and dynamic standing tests with the eyes closed, the postural stability of people with ID was accompanied by a small sway rate. In the ID group, the frontal plane movements were significantly larger (p > .05) than the sagittal plane movements. The participants with ID showed a significantly lower score than the control group in all the sensorimotor tests. Our observations on balance and coordination capabilities might have significance for understanding the mechanisms underlying movement dysfunction in adults with ID and offer some new approaches for their possible prevention.

Restricted access

Janet Robertson, Eric Emerson, Susannah Baines, and Chris Hatton

active 5 with sport also having a role in promoting psychological well-being and increasing social capital. Intellectual disability refers to a significant general impairment in intellectual functioning that is acquired during childhood, typically operationalized as scoring more than 2 standard

Open access

Carly Albaum, Annie Mills, Diane Morin, and Jonathan A. Weiss

Individuals with intellectual disability (ID) demonstrate significant limitations in cognitive and adaptive functioning and typically require at least some degree of support with daily living skills. In addition to inherent functional limitations, adults with ID are more likely to exhibit physical

Restricted access

Ghada Jouira, Haithem Rebai, and Sonia Sahli

Special Olympics is the largest sports organization in the world serving athletes with intellectual disabilities (ID) having an intelligence quotient less than 75. 1 To date, more than 4.4 million people with ID are involved in Special Olympics sports training and competition. 1 Athletics is

Restricted access

Karlee Naumann, Jocelyn Kernot, Gaynor Parfitt, Bethany Gower, and Kade Davison

, no reviews were found which featured people living with an intellectual disability (ID). It is also important to note that only one of the previously mentioned systematic reviews explored psychosocial effects for participants ( Mortimer et al., 2014 ). While seeing physical changes is important for

Restricted access

Rihab Borji, Firas Zghal, Nidhal Zarrouk, Sonia Sahli, and Haithem Rebai

Involvement in physical exercise is a key strategy in the prevention and the rehabilitation of health problems arising from inactivity in individuals with intellectual disability (ID) ( Robertson et al., 2000 ; Carmeli, Zinger-Vaknin, Morad, & Merrick, 2005 ). Nevertheless, physical activities for

Restricted access

W. Tolentino-Castro, L. Mochizuki, and H. Wagner

Persons with intellectual disabilities (IDs) present impaired cognitive function, for instance, working memory, verbal comprehension, perceptual reasoning, and adaptive behavior, which affect age-related motor learning processes and daily social activities ( American Psychiatric Association, 2013

Restricted access

Viviene A. Temple

The aim of this viewpoint article is to highlight the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on individuals with an intellectual disability (ID), with a particular focus on physical activity and Special Olympics. Specific objectives are (a) to share what the literature reveals about the impact of COVID-19

Restricted access

San Hong, Jieun Yang, Donghyun Kim, and Yongho Lee

in access. People with intellectual disabilities account for 8.2% of the registered population with disabilities in Korea ( Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare, 202 1 ). Only 4% of the people with intellectual disabilities are capable of communication; the remaining 96% require proper accommodation